1/12/2011

#7

S.A.T. Style Reflective Essay: "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring"


     


    The movie "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter, Spring" successfully showed me the respect of life. In the movie, there are the master monk, the little monk, and a dog. They live in a Buddhist temple that is built on a raft-like bottom. The weird part was that the temple (or the raft) was on the river in the middle of nowhere. I know that monks try to live apart from the civilized society, but not like living on the river! Thus, the little boy, who seems to be in the age of five to six, doesn't really have much to do. He could get medicinal herb, sleep, or play with the  animals. I can understand him playing with the animals, especially the dog, because I get bored since I'm a human being too, and I really enjoy playing with my pet! But eventually, the boy crosses the line.
    One day, the boy decides to go and play with the animals that live in the forests nearby. He catches a fish, a frog, and a snake. So far, it seems to be very reasonable until when he ties them to pebbles that are about the same weight as themselves with pieces of thread! How painful it would've been to those poor poor animals. Eventually, the rock is going to drown them and moreover, kill them. Gratefully, the master saw what the boy has done to the animals and plans to discipline him.
    When I was a kindergarten, I had nothing on my mind but a concept that the world was going around ME. So I can understand how the boy acted like so to just have fun. Anyhow, the master decides to do the same thing to the boy... tying him to a rock! And then, he tells the boy to go and rescue the animals in order to free himself. If any of them die, though, he told the little one that he would fell sorry for them throughout his whole life. If my parents or even a teacher did so, I would've got really frustrated and started screaming and cry like a baby.(Of course when I'm the age of six of seven.) On the other hand, the boy begs for an apology and obeys what the master had told him.
    The little monk found out that only the frog had survived over night when the others suffered and died. When the boy sought the snake laying on a rock, bleeding to death, he suddenly had a mind to be respectful to others' lives and burst into tears. You see, the master monk is unlike the normal teachers, who orders their students to write 'I'm sorry' all over the front and the back side of A4 page. Students don't even get chances to think about what they're sorry for. However, the master actually gave the boy and opportunity to learn from his mischief and feel and understand others' feeling too. I, too, want to meet the master-monk-like-teacher someday in my life so that I can learn a life lesson from them.

No comments: